Over the last couple of days, I’ve devoted some time to sketching out 2017 writing goals and roughing in a plan to achieve them. (I’m enrolled in a seven day Plot Your Success in 2017 workshop at Savvy Authors.)
Earlier today, out of curiosity, I clicked on a Facebook newsfeed link. Maybe there was a little procrastination involved (must work on that in 2017). Instead of simply reading the post and turning my attention back to revising my short story, I clicked on another link to the intriguingly named Insecure Writer’s Support Group.
At this point I will pause to mention Goal Number Seven on my scrawled list:
* Post regularly to my blog – I’ve been terrible about it.
I’d already written out an action plan for items one through four:
* Finish and pursue traditional publication of one scifi/horror novella.
* Finish and pursue traditional publication of one of my novels-in-progress.
* Achieve sufficient pro-market sales (I have one!) to qualify for active membership in both HWA (Horror Writers Association) and SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association)
* Write and pursue publication of at least two non-fiction articles related to my writing research and activities.
Goal Number Seven didn’t have an action plan, but the Insecure Writer’s Support Group presented me with a ready made one. I added this blog to the participation list and therefore made the commitment to write a post at least once a month.
Next on my to-do list: Adding longer term goals (2 and 5 years) to my list and a developing a plan to achieve all of them.
See you in January, if not sooner.